Lesson Procedure: The Uncool Celebrity
- Show a picture/play guess who/play some music to help the learners guess a celebrity that you really dislike or think is uncool. For example, I would play a song by Celine Dion or show them a snippet from one of her videos.
- Tell them they are going to work on someone they really dislike or think is uncool
Planning their research
- Organize the class in groups of 3/4. Each student can talk about why they really dislike the celebrity they chose.
- Each student should then individually reflect on their chosen celebrity following this table (it’s filled out with my example for Celine Dion):
|What people like about …….(e.g. Celine Dion)||What I know about …….(e.g. Celine Dion)||What I don’t like about …….(e.g. Celine Dion)|
|· her voice
· Her songs are romantic
|· She’s Canadian
· Her pron is weird- I think her first language is French
· She’s married
· She had a show in LV for years
|· Too romantic
· Her voice sounds annoying
· She’s always very PC
- The students research their chosen uncool celebrity following the table below:
|Quick Bio facts||What he/she has achieved||What their fans say about them||What their detractors say about them|
- The students go back to Table 1. Prompt them to reflect on the following questions:
- Do you want to change anything?
- Do you want to add anything?
- Has your opinion changed?
- What do these dislikes tell us about us? What do we dislike?
- The lesson can go in different directions from here:
- speed-dating where learners present their findings and convince their interlocutors of why they have or haven’t changed their minds
- Ppt presentation on the celebrity which they prepare for HW
- A video or radio broadcast about this celebrity and why they dislike them